It’s no mystery why everyone who comes to Athens falls in love. There is a distinct culture here, full of wonderful food, history and people. What sets Athens apart from most small towns? It has arguably one of the best drinking scenes. Whether you’re looking for a casual drink on Rooftop or a blackout bucket at Sandbar, Athens offers a variety of settings to best let loose. If you and your significant other are die-hard Athens fans—perhaps you’re both alumni of the University of Georgia—what better way to incorporate your favorite small town than by serving up some Athens-inspired cocktails? Here are a few recipes:
Ginger Whiskey Bent Cocktail
Photo by Garnish with Lemon
Inspired by one of the most popular bars in downtown Athens.
- 2-3 oz. whiskey
- Ginger ale
- Lime wedge
- Fill a highball glass with ice.
- Pour whiskey into glass.
- Top with ginger ale.
- Squeeze and float a lime wedge in the glass.
Agua Linda Margarita
Photo by The Clever Carrot
Agua Linda has arguably the best Mexican food in Athens, so pay homage to great Mexican drinks with a delicious strawberry lemonade margarita!
- 2 oz. tequila
- ½ oz. cointreau
- 5 oz. strawberry lemonade
- Fresh lime juice
- For the garnish: Kosher salt, fresh strawberries, lime slices
- Add salt to a shallow dish. Cut a lime wedge and run it around the rim of a glass. Gently dip the glass into the salt, twisting back and forth to coat. Fill with ice and set aside.
- In a martini shaker add the tequila, cointreau, and strawberry lemonade. Shake well.
- Pour over ice and add a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Garnish with thinly sliced limes and strawberries.
Founder’s Garden Peach Cocktail
Photo by What The Flicka
One of the most beautiful places close to the heart of Athens is the Founder’s Garden. Create a cocktail in honor of the garden and Georgia’s favorite fruit: peaches!
- 1 oz. coconut rum
- 1 oz. peach schnapps
- 1 oz. vodka
- 2 oz. ginger ale
- Fresh peach slices
- Pour all ingredients, except for the ginger ale, into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well, strain and pour into a chilled martini glass.
- Top with ginger ale and garnish with a peach slice.
40 Watt Club Shandy
You can’t have an Athens-inspired cocktail list without making an ode to music, so here’s a beer cocktail for the 40 Watt Club.
- 12 oz. pale ale beer
- Handful of blackberries
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Mint for garnish
- Muddle blackberries in bottom of glass.
- Squeeze lemon juice over blackberries.
- Pour beer into glass and garnish with a generous sprig of mint.
Our purpose at Weddings in Athens is to show the outstanding selection of Athens, Georgia wedding vendors such as wedding photographers, videographers, florists, wedding planners and venues. We hope that our information will be helpful to you as your plan your Athens, Georgia wedding. Please contact Weddings in Athens if you would like to have your listing added. Please follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weddingsinathens.