Summer Berry Red Wine Spritzer
Photo and Recipe from My Food Story
If you’re having a summer wedding in Athens, it cannot get any more perfect that this Summer Berry Red Wine Spritzer. Seriously how delicious does that sound?! It’s dark red in color, with the strawberries adding a light red touch. This combo resembles the beloved University of Georgia colors red and black, making this a great addition to any Georgia fan’s reception. The recipe from My Food Story is enough to make one cocktail, so you’ll have to adjust the recipe so that it will cater to the amount of guests attending your wedding!
- 2-3 strawberries (stems removed and cut in half)
- 4-5 blueberries
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 parts red wine
- 1 part carbonated soda
- Sprig of mint
- In a glass add a few cubes of ice, strawberries and blueberries. Add honey and lime juice and give everything a good mix.
- Add two parts wine to glass and stir again. Top with carbonated soda, add a sprig of mint and enjoy!
Peach Bourbon Thyme Smash
Photo and Recipe from A Healthy Life For Me
If you talk to just about anyone, the first thing they think of when you say you’re from Georgia is a peach (and of course the Georgia Bulldogs!). So why not incorporate our state fruit into your wedding? This Peach Bourbon Thyme Smash cocktail from A Healthy Life For Me looks refreshing, not to mention it’s light color and unique ingredients are sure to be unlike anything your guests have had before. Again, this recipe is for one, so you’ll have to adjust accordingly!
- 2 oz. bourbon
- 1 oz. lemon juice
- 1 oz. jalapeno simple syrup or plain simple syrup
- 1 ripe peach
- 2 sprigs thyme
Jalapeño Simple Syrup
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ fresh jalapeno, sliced in half
- In a martini shaker add bourbon, lemon juice and simple syrup. Cut peach in half remove pit and squeeze smashing the peach in your hand over the martini shaker. Any peach pieces that fall in are fine.
- Add leaves from fresh thyme.
- Shake vigorously to infuse ingredients.
- Fill a lowball glass with fresh ice and pour in bourbon mix.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and a peach wedge (optional).
Jalapeño Simple Syrup
- In a small saucepan combine the sugar, water and jalapeño.
- Bring to a simmer while smashing the jalapeño with a wooden spoon to extract the flavor.
- Once it boils, remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Remove jalapeño and transfer to a container and chill in the fridge until ready to use.
- For regular simple syrup omit jalapeño
Southern Spiked Peach Iced Tea
Photo and Recipe from Real House Moms
Okay, maybe I lied. Iced tea may actually be the first thing that comes to someone’s mind when you tell them you’re from Georgia, with peaches in a close second. Cue the Southern Spiked Peach Iced Tea from Real House Moms! With this your guests will get a real taste for the south with fresh peach and delicious iced tea combined into one refreshing and very southern drink.
- 2 oz. vodka
- 3 oz. peach iced tea
- 3 oz. lemonade
- 1/2 peach, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 lemon, sliced (optional)
- Fresh mint, for garnish
- In a 12 oz. highball glass filled with ice, add the vodka, followed by the peach iced tea, then the lemonade. Garnish with fresh mint and enjoy!
Creature Comforts Brewing Company
Photo from Creature Comfort Brewing Co. Blog
Mixed drinks not your thing? This is for all my beer-loving brides and grooms out there! Nothing says “Athens” more than a cold beer from Creature Comforts Brewery. Brewed right here in Athens, Georgia, show your love for the Classic City by having these out for guests to try during the open bar or pair them up with your dinner options. Some of my personal favorites are the Bibo and Athena, and people love Tropicalia! Creature Comforts offer several brews that are available year-round, as well as some seasonal options for you to choose from.
Our purpose at Weddings in Athens is to show the outstanding selection of Athens, Georgia wedding vendors such as wedding photographers, videographers, florists, wedding planners and venues. We hope that our information will be helpful to you as your plan your Athens, Georgia wedding. Please contact Weddings in Athens if you would like to have your listing added. Please follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weddingsinathens.