Athens, Georgia is a town that is often overlooked because it is just thought of as a “college town.” When receiving my acceptance letter to UGA, I had no idea what to expect from the city. After the first couple of days of living in Athens, I quickly learned that the town was much more than just college football, and a fun night life. Athens, Georgia has provided me personally with endless opportunities to explore every aspect of this beautiful city. Here are five reasons why you NEED to have your wedding in Athens.
1. Athens has been around since 1806, and because of that, it’s buildings and classic architecture that will take your breath away. (It’s not called the classic city for nothing).
2. Nature, nature, nature. Between the botanical gardens and and the beautiful greenery on North Campus, you are bound to get some beautiful and elegant pictures.
3. Speaking of North Campus… UGA’s North Campus is home to some of the most beautiful buildings in Georgia. In fact, it even has a chapel (I know right… how perfect for a wedding?!).
4. Now that we’ve covered the fact that Athens will have the perfect venue for your wedding, we can move on to the best part: food. Whether you are searching for your main course or the wedding cake, you’ll be able to find it at any of the catering companies in the city.
5. It’s time to start thinking about your guests. One of the worst part about weddings is getting to the wedding, and then driving back home. This is especially true for friends and family out of town. Athens is in the perfect location for guests to stay at Lake Oconee or Hartwell for a weekend and make a vacation out of it. Both of these lakes are only forty minutes away, and will make the wedding even that more memorable.
Athens has stolen the hearts of Bulldog fans, students, and most Georgians. It’s time for you to enjoy what people have been loving for the past 100 years, and have your wedding in Athens, Georgia! Go Dawgs!